Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tentmaking and Business

One thing I am finding out about Japan is the hard side of doing business. I do not like it but it can't be helped. The English Teaching business is very cut throat. God has blessed us but it has been like walking a type rope some times. As it is all contract work, there was a situation in which someone asked to cut my pay when someone came in and bid lower.

It is the game of business. I do not go out and target other schools like ours but I also realize that I always need to act in what makes the best sense. At times that means expanding in what someone else thinks as their territory. As we set up a classroom and ministry, Lord willing in front of the station, many area churches and schools will feel threatened.

For example if we start something, we will need teachers so I have been talking to some of the area teachers I know who are under paid about working with us. Well the people who under pay them are also acquaintances of mine. They are not happy about maybe losing teachers. Also the 2 pastors in this city of 45,000 will not be happy about us starting something as they will see it as competition.

In the end I am reminded of the parable of the talents. We can fear criticism and hide our gifts in the ground so as not to offend someone, or be good stewards; and that means business.

No comments: