Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Aging of Japan

The Japanese Health Ministry estimates the nation's total population will decrease by 25% from 127.8 million in 2005 to 95.2 million by 2050. Japan's elderly population, aged 65 or older, comprised 20% of the nation's population in June 2006, a percentage expected to increase to 40% by 2055.

I work a lot with children but also with the 40+ crowd. Personally I think the way to reach Japan is to reach the 40+ crowd. They are the largest section of the population. They stay in their geographical area. They have resources to give upon believing. They have life experience to enable them to become leaders.

I see missionaries and ministries target the young. If you go to their churches there are no grey heads. Churches like that in my opinion are a niche church. Businesses are already adjusting but the church is still often driven by the American youth model. Our English school franchise system and every business in Japan is changing to meet this coming demographic move.

The 60+ crowd is not going to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care. They are more likely to bow their heads and fold their hands in reverent prayer. I am excited to be working with the Reformed Church in Japan because I see us prepared for the times we are in. When I walk into my church and see 33% of the members at or above retirement age, it is a sign that we are reaching Japan. That is who Japan is and who God calls us to reach.

No comments: