Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I drive a minicar

Last year when my parents were here and gas was Skyhigh my mother commented that maybe in America everyone will drive mini cars like us. My wife and I drive two mini-cars which are called Keicars in Japan. Would I ever drive them in America, probably not.

Japan and probably much of Europe are well suited for small cars for a couple of reasons: mass transit for longer trips and exclusive local city driving.
We only do local city driving and when traveling any distance use trains or buses. Japan has a highway system and it even cuts through the city I live in, but I have never driven on it. The local city roads we drive on are marked at 50 or 60 kmh max (30-40 mph). The roads here are also very narrow and large vehicles just do not navigate them well.

So when you live in a land of no high speed head on collisions like Japan small mini cars are fine. That land is not America though, I would never drive the cars I have now on American roads. Maybe in Guam though were the top posted speed limit on the island is 45 and that is only one small stretch.

No comments: